In the year 1968, my 20th year, was the worst year in US policy and politics that I can ever remember. It started when the Viet Cong launched the Tet Offensive in January. Even with the numbers of US troops bloated at a half a million, the US nearly lost Vietnam. In April, Dr. Martin Luther King is assassinated by a lone assassin with a rifle in Memphis, Tennessee. King’s death sparks violent and destructive riots in a number of cities across the country, with the exception of Atlanta, King’s hometown. In June, while running for President, Bobby Kennedy is shot while moving through a hotel in California.
I witnessed the public memorial for Dr. King. I was a junior at Emory College. Dr. King was the pastor at the Ebenezer Baptist Church on Auburn Street in the heart of the Atlanta black community. His father, retired had been his predecessor. His mother was the organist and choir leader. Early on April 9, 1968, my friend and I put on dark suits and walked to Ebenezer Baptist Church on Auburn Street. This was the private service, so we watched from a knoll across Auburn Street as dignitaries arrived. Some we recognized. Harry Belafonte, Hubert Humphrey, US Vice-President, Sammy Davis, Jr., among others. We could hear the organ rumble, and the singing of the congregation. We knew that there would be a march of the congregation and those waiting outside the church to Morehouse College, Dr. King’s alma mater in the West End. We walked ahead of the march.
The streets were deserted. Racist, Axe handled, backwards cyclist Georgia Governor Lester Maddox refused to allow the lowering of the flag at half staff because he declared that Dr. King was “an enemy of the state.” He surrounded the state capital with Georgia troopers assuming that there would be riots. Atlanta did not go up in flames because of the wisdom of the last white mayor of Atlanta, Ivan Allen. He had the foresight to be available to the formidable black leadership by meeting with them weekly over lunch to discuss issues and concerns of the community. Allen was respected. So when news came down from Memphis that Dr. King had been assassinated, some of the young toughs were shouting “burn baby burn.” There’s a famous picture of Allen in the heart of the black community climbing up on a car and telling anyone who would hear to go home, “l
Let us not dishonor Dr. King’s memory by destroying his hometown.” Everyone went home. All was quiet without a national guard presence, and not even the state troopers.
We walked block after block towards the Westside, with nary a person to be seen. It was peaceful. We arrived at the quadrangle of Moorehouse college. A low, brick fence paralleled the length of one side of the quad. The sky was clear and weather was cool, but not for long.
Few people were on the quad at the time. Each of us picked out a tree to climb for a better view.
shortly after, security called us down. We look for another tree. I found one at the side of a path that meandered midway down the side of the quad. Little did I realize how strategic that spot was and how it would change my life an hour later. Up I went. It was as if I wrapped Harry Potter’s invisibility cloak on. I never was discovered and there remained until the memorial was over. Time passed, and it was getting warmer. From my perch I could see the quad filling up with mourners. The open stage was filling up with the Morehouse Men’s Glee club. I could feel the tension growing as more people from the march began to move into the quad. Soon, there was nary an open space on the ground. And it was getting warmer as tstood and sat on the grass. Finally the mule drawn farm wood wagon arrived with Dr. King’s casket in the back. Immediately behind walking were Coretta King, her children, and family and leaders of the civil rights movement. Closely behind were Hubert Humphrey, and the Kennedy brothers, Ted, Bobby and other Kennedy family members. Even Richard Nixon was there.
The casket was lifted from wagon, and carried up the steps into the quad and down the path right where my perch was. Coretta, the children and all the dignitaries walked behind the casket. You can imagine my emotion how I was just a few feet above this assembly and how I wasn’t discovered, how I held my breath. The Moorehouse Glee Club was singing in crescendo, and the crowd pivoted like filings to a magent, all turned towards the casket and the family, as it slowing moved just below me. I remember the color of the casket, a dark mahogany shining in the noon sun. Coretta’s black, veiled hat, the children in black, slowing walking, wending their way to the front of the dais.
The second memorial began with the singing of the choirs and prayers. Two iconic speakers came forward. Dr. Benjamin E Mays gave the eulogy. He waas an early civil rights leader, educator and speaker at the March on Washington at the Lincoln Memorial where Dr. King gave his iconic “I Have a Dream Speech.” Rabbi Abraham Heschel, a close friend and spiritual advisor, entoned the kaddesh, the prayer for the dead of the Hebrew people.
I weep every time I hear the powerful voice of Dr. King many years later, as he concludes his mighty speech at the Lincoln Memorial, August 28, 1963:
“And when this happens, when we allow freedom to ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"
The weeping is an acknowledgement that not only the dream has yet to become reality, it seems that even as there are advances in diversity, there are fallbacks to the old racism.
Then and there, I decided to be an activist rather than react to historical events. I also returned to Christianity by responding to an invitation from a friend, to worship at Trinity United Methodist Church, in Atlanta GA, on the corner of Trinity and Washington Streets in the Atlanta inner city. Several blocks away is Capitol Homes, a large public housing project, where the church owned a parish house. Trinity was declining with a white membership, with a history for mission across the world. The church was ingrown and on the defensive. So when Charlie Spencer, an African-American teen-ager showed up at worship one Sunday, and pastor Ken Jones welcomed him, half of the remaining white membership left and took their money with them.
No comments:
Post a Comment