When I was six or seven, Pinson School in Camagüey, Cuba opened a one room school for the American, English speaking students in a house across the street from the campus. The school hired Mrs. Martha Tucker as the teacher in a multi-grade classroom. Each grade sat in clusters working on their lessons, while Mrs. Tucker moved about offering encouragement and correction. At noon, we ate our lunches, while Mrs. Tucker read to us from the great books, such as Robert Lewis Stevenson’s “Treasure Island.” Not too long after that, we could hear the jingle of the ice cream man coming down the street, on his three wheeled tri-cycle with an ice box on the front, with the Guarina brand ice cream on the side. He had vanilla and chocolate on popsicle sticks, and my favorite, coco glassé, coconut ice cream in a real coconut shell. I sat right in front of Mrs. Tucker, and I would look her in the eye as she read, and in best sheepish voice, I would whine, “Can I have some ice cream?” She would look up, having been interrupted in her reading, and would stare back at me with her gruff gaze. Than she would smile, as we all filed out of the classroom for an ice cream break. To this day that is why I love ice cream.
Years later, Martha Tucker and her husband, Ted, retired in West Palm Beach. As a young pastor, I visited her several times. As I was leaving, she always reminded me, “Now remember, Larry, I want you to do my funeral.” “I will, Martha, but you have to give a date, so that I can put it on my schedule.” We always had a big laugh over that. My dad, I had the distinct honor to co-celebrate Mrs. Tucker’s homecoming as she wished.
Before and after the Spanish American War, (the war for Cuban Independence) in 1898, many Americans owned small farms in Cuba. Small American colonies sprang up. Two of them were located northwest of Camaguey: Sola and La Gloria. The farmers needed an English teacher to teach their children, so they hired a young Martha to come from the United States and organize a school. Not too long after that, she met and married, citrus farmer, Ted Tucker. They raised their children on the farm, until Martha was hired as the teacher for the American students at Pinson School.
In those days, La Gloria and Sola, were large enough to support a Methodist church, which held English language services. Now a part of the Camagüey district of the Methodist Church in Cuba, the church is still active to this day. In the ‘50’s the La Gloria church held services in both languages. Electricity had not arrived in the communities yet, so the night services were lip up with several Coleman lanterns held up by long hooks hanging from the rafters. I still remember the hissing sound they made as my dad preached, as I lulled myself to sleep on my mother’s lap.
No comments:
Post a Comment