In the fall of my sophomore year at Emory, Bob Stroud, a Methodist missionary met with me and invited me to take a mission team from the US down to southern Argentina where he and his wife, Betty Lou were pioneering a new ministry in the Patagonia city of Neuquen.
That would be a life changing experience for me at several levels. I had experienced a lonely year on campus. I set my sights to meeting the team in June, 1967. The year went by quickly as anticipation of the meeting built. I hoped that perhaps these young people would become life long friends, my community. Perhaps I would meet a special someone.
I flew to Miami from Atlanta and arrived at a Miami Beach hotel where the team was gathering for orientation with veteran missionaries, Lloyd and Edith Knox. They were from South Dakota, Texas, Georgia, Florida, and North Carolina. I remember entering the hotel, inquiring as to where they were meeting.
I entered a room where the team was getting acquainted. I looked across it. Then I set my eyes on a pretty, tall, brown haired young woman with a gorgeous smile. Her name was Trudy, and she was with the South Dakota group, from Watertown. I was smitten. I knew right then and there that I would marry her some day. It was June 8, 1967.
No comments:
Post a Comment